My Mom's "Better Than Takeout" Easy Fried Rice !!
This “Better Than Takeout” Easy Fried Rice Recipe was one of the first dishes my mom taught in her cooking classes and one of the first dishes she taught me to make! Every Tuesday night, my dad, my two sisters and I abandoned the house and headed to Burger Chef so that my mom could teach students out of our kitchen.
I thought it only appropriate that I start the first episode of the YuCanCook show with the same recipe that my mom also started her classes with. I hope you enjoy it.
A word about the “set.” The last ten months, my husband Scott and I have been remodeling our house and rebuilding our kitchen set. Scott had built a set for my daughter Dara after she was the finalist in season one of Masterchef Jr. She went on to have a show for DreamWorksTV
Click here for MasterChef Jr. Blog Post
Click here for MasterChef Jr. Podcast episode
Let me know in the comments below or in the comments on the YouTube episode what you think of the recipe and the set!
I’d love to see your dishes, if you post on Instagram, please tag it with #YuCanCook!
Easy Fried Rice Better Than Takeout
- wok, dutch oven, 4 qt. pot, or 12" fry pan
- chef knife
- small whisk
- small bowl
- 4 cups rice cooked
- 3 tbsp cooking oil canola, or peanut, or other high smoke oil (divided)
- 3 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1 cup ham diced
- 1 cup peas cooked
- ½ red pepper diced
- 3 sprigs green onion chopped into sifflets
- 1 tbsp soy sauce can be low sodium
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ketchup (optional)
- Heat the wok, dutch oven, pot, or frypan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl, add ¼ tsp of salt, and whisk until yolk and white are thoroughly combined.
- Scramble the eggs until still moist, and not overdone. Turn off your heat, and put the eggs back in the small bowl. Break up the eggs with chopsticks and set aside.
- Reheat your pan over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add your rice and stir fry until hot, about ten minutes.
- Add ham, peas, red peppers and green onions, and stir fry until all are combined and warmed throughout.
- Stir in the cooked eggs.
- Add the soy sauce, 3/4 tsp salt, pepper, sesame oil, and ketchup (if using) to taste.
- Serve immediately.