Have you seen the Dalgona Candy from Squid Game?
How to make Dalgona Candy
Dalgona Candy is a simple toffee honeycomb made with only sugar and baking soda. First, you place the sugar in a stainless steel ladle over a heat source. As the sugar melts, stir it with a disposable chopstick as the street vendors do in Korea.
When the sugar is caramelized, add a tiny pinch of baking soda, and stir until the mixture foams into a light tan color. Next, pour the melted mixture onto a silpat, or parchment paper. Finally, flatten it with a metal weight, and then emboss a shape with a cookie cutter.
The Dalgona Candy Challenge
Now you’ve made the, it’s time for your challenge. Ultimately, you will win if you snap or cut the embossed shape out of the candy cleanly without the candy breaking. Use your hands or fingers as children do in Korea. Or, use a needle, or cigarette lighter to heat up the needle to scrape the shape out. In the end, on Squid Game, if the candy breaks, the contestant loses their life!
Let me know if you’re a WINNER on this Dalgona Candy from Squid Game Challenge. GOODLUCK!
Dalgona Candy from Squid Game Yu Can Cook
- Stainless Steel Ladle
- Disposable Chopstick
- Silpat Silicone Baking Mat
- Flat Metal Disc
- Star Shaped Cookie Cutter
- Square Shaped Cookie Cutter
- Circle Shaped Cookie Cutter
- Umbrella Shaped Cookie Cutter (optional)
- 2 tbsp sugar white
- 1 pinch baking soda approx. 1/16 tsp
Melt the sugar
- Place 2 tbsp of white sugar in the stainless steel ladle
- Hold the ladle over heat source
- Stir the sugar with the disposable chopstick
- As the sugar melts, continue scraping the crystalizing candy into the middle of the ladle
- As the sugar is melting, move the ladle back and forth in and out of the heat source, so that the sugar does not burn
- Keep stirring the sugar until it has all melted and caramelized into a light brown color
- Add a tiny pinch of baking soda (literally pinch the baking soda between your thumb and forefinger and add to the ladle)
- Keep stirring until the mixture slightly foams and turns an opaque light tan color
Form the candy
- Pour the candy onto the silpat silicone mat ( You can also use parchment paper)
- Wait for 5 seconds, and then press your flat metal disc onto the candy to flatten it
Emboss the candy with a shape
- Immediately press your shape of choice into the candy
Cut the shape out from the middle of the candy
- Wait until the candy has thoroughly cooled
- Try to break off the outer candy, or scrape with a needle, until the inner shape is released in one piece.